Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Recap

It's New Year's Eve, which means it's time for a 2013 training/racing recap -- the annual post in which I review my training/racing goals and whether I accomplished them.  So here we go:

Run my third marathon
Yup, that happened.  On October 13th at the Chicago Marathon, to be specific.
Racing to Stop MS
Run a sub-5 marathon
YES THIS FINALLY HAPPENED TOO!!!!
Just in case it's blurry, that says 4:52:54 :)
Finish my first triathlon
To quote Ducky from the Land Before Time, YUP YUP YUP!  Escape the Cape on June 8th.
Showing off my water bottle and my tri suit
Finish an Ironman 70.3
Heck yeah.  70.3 Racine on July 21st.
Just look at the FINISHER part, not the time ...

Run a sub-28 5K
Yessireebob.  Winter Classic 5K on December 8th.

Run a sub-2:10 half
Mmhmm.  I never posted a recap of this one, but I ran the (then) Allstate 13.1 Boston race as a tune up for Chicago.  I beat Frank Shorter.  It was awesome.

Me: 2:08:30. Frank Shorter: 2:09:31. We'll leave age out of this.
Turn Klaus into a proper running buddy
Not quite on this one.  Poor Klaus tore the canine equivalent of his ACL at the end of February and had repair surgery in March, followed by physical therapy and a long recovery time.  By the time he was allowed to run again, I was well into 70.3 and marathon training and my runs were mostly too long or too focused to bring him along.  But I've taken him for a few short runs, and he seems to (maybe?) be figuring it out.  And best of all, he's healthy again for the moment.
Klaus at PT on the underwater treadmill
I was a little shocked this morning when I went to dailymile and discovered my mileage for the year was as follows:
swim:     32
bike:    998
run:      781
I know my rides are longer than my runs, but I run so much more frequently I was sure my running mileage would be more than my cycling mileage!  This was an amazing year for me race-wise, and my first without a major running injury, so maybe I'll finally take the hint about this cross training business.

That's all for now!  Back tomorrow with my goals for 2014.  Happy New Year, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment