Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday Mileage Report

I survived my second 40+ mile week in a row!

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Total

Rest

PT
5.1 mi @10:49
1
8.4 mi @11:35
2
4 m @10:30
3
Rest
4
5.2 mi @9:48
5
20 mi @12:09

42.7 mi


The week started with a trip back to physical therapy.  The PT actually put me on the treadmill to check out my stride for the first time (although I think it's a little different on the treadmill).  Now I'm supposed to focus on turning out my hips and shortening my stride.  The hip thing sounds really weird, but when I focus on it I can definitely feel a difference.  Mostly that difference is my hip and butt muscles getting super sore.  She also made me do a bunch of strength work on my left hip and quad.  I followed up the PT visit with an easy-ish five mile run.  The next day I was way more sore than I was the day after my 18 miler!

Wednesday I got to run in shorts!  In February!  I was looking for a new 8 mile route and sort of randomly ended up running down to the Museum of Science bridge and back on the other side of the river.  Turned out to be just over 8 miles.  I'll definitely be keeping that route in the rotation.  The heart rate monitor has really revolutionized my slow distance runs.  I once again turned off the pace display and focused on keeping my heart rate down, and once again 8 miles flew by.  I only took one quick walk break around mile 6 when my stomach started acting up a bit.

Thursday's run was uneventful.  I cut 5 miles to 4 after more stomach trouble (which I was fully expecting, after eating dhall cheesesteak for lunch), but kept the pace up pretty well.

Saturday's pace run once again ended up closer to half marathon pace instead of marathon pace.  But this time I felt it quite a bit more than last week.  Especially when I had to battle of pretty strong head wind most of the way back.  It even blew my hat off in the middle of an intersection!

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for.  Sunday's 20 miler!  I have to admit, I wasn't really excited about this run after running 18 the weekend before.  Although for the first time this training cycle I actually thought about my long run far enough in advance to start carbing up a few days before and to rest and hydrate the night before the run.  I even remembered to go to City Sports for more Body Glide and Shot Bloks.

I started the run around 11:30 am on Sunday after my new pre-run breakfast of Pop Tarts and Extreme Sport Beans (sounds gross, I know) with my route still up in the air.  Around mile 4 or 5, I decided I would run two 10 mile loops, making a quick pit stop at home in between.  The first lap was along the river between the Arsenal and Mass Ave bridges.  Second lap was Museum of Science bridge to JFK bridge, with an extra mile loop added on at the end.  I never really felt like I got in the zone on this one.  I tried only watching my heart rate again, but by the second half I was having a very hard time keeping it down, even when I felt like I was running really slowly.  Maybe too much caffeine in the Gu/Shot Bloks?  But in the end, I came in right around my 4-hr target and I'm walking today, so I'll count it as a win.


This week is a much needed step-back week: three five milers, an 8, and a 12 mile 3/1 long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment