Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Week 1 Survival and a Cambridge City Run Recap


I survived the first week!  Definitely got a little preview of how difficult this training is going to be.  Only a few days in I turned into a bottomless pit for food and by the end of the week I was exhausted.  I'm not sure I've ever been as excited about a rest day as I was today!

Friday: so proud of myself for taking a break from burritos for a big bowl of pasta with veggies I decided to take a picture

Bringing the weekly total mileage to:
Swim -- 1.3 mi
Bike -- 40.1 mi
Run -- 15.3 mi

I'm trying to be good about fitting in some of my PT strengthening exercises while I'm sitting around watching tv, but a) there isn't a lot of sitting around watching tv time these days, and b) if there is it's because I'm too exhausted to move!


I also had a slight freak out when I looked at the official race website and saw the time cutoffs for the legs of the race. From the start of the final wave, the closing time for the swim is 1 hr 10 min, the bike 5 hr 30 min, and the run 8 hr 30 min.  I was thinking it would take me about 7 hrs 30 min to finish the race, but I have literally NO IDEA whether I'm going to be able to make those cutoff times, especially on the swim.  I'm trying not to let the cutoffs make me too time-obsessed during training, but it's not easy!

The highlight of the week was definitely the Cambridge City Run on Sunday morning.

The morning didn't get off to a great start when I woke up exhausted after less than 5 hrs of sleep thanks to a combination of the NCAA tournament schedule and a ridiculous shortage of cabs in Boston on Saturday night.  But it was a beautiful morning (just a little windy) and I was feeling ok by the time I jog/walked the 2.5 miles from my apartment to the start of the race at Fresh Pond.

I met up with a (much faster) friend at the start, and a few minutes later the gun sounded and we shuffled across the line with several hundred of our new friends.  The course was pretty crowded, especially toward the middle where the 3 mile walk course joined up with the run course, but dodging people was actually a nice distraction and it felt great to actually be passing people for a change! I didn't think I would be able to keep up with said faster friend for long, but she was planning on an easy run and I somehow gutted it out until the last mile.  I usually complain about running with other people, especially with faster people, but after a week of solo training this was a really nice change.  By mile 4 my legs were completely done and not willing to put up with any change in elevation.  I remembered a pretty decent hill in the last mile, so I told my running buddy to go ahead while I stopped at the water station and took a little break.  I slowed waaay down and walked part of the last hill, but still managed to finish without slacking off the pace too much (splits are a tiny bit off because my watch recorded 5.06 miles total)


 My official time was 49:30, but I think that must be gun time instead of net time because my watch had 48:43.  Either way, a better performance than I expected after a full week of training with a 20 mile ride the day before!

After the race, things got even better.  We met up with another friend (and former Reach the Beach teammate!) for brunch at Johnny D's in Davis Square.
They had me at "parrot mimosa". 
The parrot mimosa in it's natural post-race environment.  Tropical mimosa >> beet juice.
Eggs, toast, home fries, cheese grits, AND chocolate chip banana bread pancakes? Yes, please!
Ladies brunching
This photo doesn't do justice to the amount of ridiculously bright running gear present
After brunch, I was NOT excited about having saved the swim for the last workout of the week.  All I wanted to do was pass out on the couch and catch up on tv.  But after a brief digestion break, I headed to the pool (the fancy one I hadn't tried yet!) and got my laps in, including a full 300 yds with flipturns and no breaks, which was a first.

Here's what's up for this week:

Plus at least one crew practice and the B.A.A. 5K as part of Sunday's run.  Back next week with the report!

No comments:

Post a Comment