Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Back in Wilmette for Christmas!  I spent yesterday morning frantically packing (got to the airport and discovered that my bag weighed 49.5 pounds -- whew!)  I didn't get home until about 4pm and still needed to get 4 miles in, so I was faced with a decision: hit the treadmill in the basement, or go outside for my first ever nighttime run in the dark.  I hate, hate, HATE the treadmill, and it was fairly warm outside, so I decided to risk getting runover/mugged/abducted by aliens.
Pre-run: not so sure about this running in the dark idea
So glad I did!  I had a headlamp and was running on even sidewalks in a safe neighborhood, so I never really felt worried.  And there were Christmas lights everywhere!  I couldn't really see my watch, so I focused on shortening my stride (PT's parting words of wisdom) and keeping my breathing easy.  I felt like I was moving much faster than usual, but not like I was really exerting more effort.  I ended up averaging 10:30 (my goal marathon pace) for four miles.
Post-run: night running is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment