Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Goals

As promised, I'm back with my goals for 2012.  Most of them are running-related, but some of them are not.  Running goals are just so much more fun!
2011 Facebook status word cloud -- note the relative sizes of "run" vs "prospectus"
Run a sub-4:45 marathon
My time for my first marathon was 5:28:01, so 4:45 might seem like a big jump.  But training for Chicago did not go as planned, thanks to some killer ITBS in the final weeks, and with the exception of my one 15K, every time I've raced a new distance, I've performed miserably.  If I can stay healthy through an entire training cycle (admittedly, a big if) I'm confident I can blow 5 hours out of the water.
Already walking around mile 15.  I will have my revenge!
Run a sub-2:00 half marathon
Last year I ran my first, second, third, and fourth half marathons, dropping my PR from 2:21:00 to 2:06:50.  I've still got a ways to go to get under 2 hours, but go big or go home, right?
I treated myself to pink sparkling wine after my half marathon PR.  Breaking 2 hrs deserves 2 bottles, right?

Compete in a long-distance relay
The plan for this one is already in motion.  I'm putting together a team for Reach the Beach MA in May, and I'm really, really excited.  Running + hanging out with my runner girls + hanging out in a van eating carby snacks?  I'm in!
Mmmmm,. carbs

Compete in a sprint triathlon
After reading so many awesome recaps on blogs, I'm starting to get Ironman ambitions.  Except that I haven't ridden a bike regularly since 5th grade, and I can't do two laps of front crawl without inhaling half the pool.  So I'm going to start small.  Summer triathlon season isn't ideal, since I'm planning to run Chicago again next fall, but I'm hoping that mixing in some cycling and swimming might help me get through a training cycle injury free (see: run a sub-4:45 marathon).
They probably won't let me swim with a flotation device ...
Strength train at least two times a week
I always say I'm going to do this, and then as soon as I start marathon training the mileage cranks up and strength training goes out the window.  I'm not going for anything crazy, just some light upper body and core work (again, hoping this will help with the whole injury prevention thing).

Cardio cross train at least once a week
I'm super strict about sticking to my running schedule, no matter what else is going on in my life, but for some reason I'm always "too busy" for cross training.  Hopefully a sprint triathlon on the calendar will get my butt in gear for this one.

Does reading Runner's World count as cross training?

Listen to my body
Like a lot of other runners, I tend to think of "making progress" as "pushing my body to the breaking point and then some."  I'm injury-prone and I HATE getting off schedule, so I run through pain until I'm limping around the house and unable to go up/down stairs without grimacing and swearing under my breath.  This year, in addition to taking some preventative measures to avoid getting injured in the first place, I'm going to try to listen to my body and rest when I need to.  I'm also going to try to listen to my body about food -- eating when I'm hungry, and stopping when I'm not -- instead of worrying about the number on the scale.  I'm off to a good start, having finally stopped running on my probable patellar tendonitis, but I'm already getting cranky and its only been a week.  Wish me luck on this one.


Maintain a social life
My first marathon training cycle took over my life.  Friday nights I didn't go out because I was resting up for a long run, and Saturday nights I didn't go out because I was exhausted from my long run.  And during the week I was too busy/exhausted to do much outside of school, running, and tv.  I've never exactly been a party animal, but now that I'm single and don't have the built-in social network that came with having a boyfriend in non-phd grad school (the fun kind where you "network" a lot), I'm realizing that I'm going to have to make more of an effort to get myself out there, even if sometimes that just means meeting up with friends for post-run brunch.  Who knows, maybe I'll even go on a date or two?

See, I do wear non-running clothes occasionally
Mmm,. alcoholic carbs
Get my masters degree
I've passed my general exam, and the only things standing between me and a masters degree are two "incomplete" grades for courses where I haven't yet written a final paper (apparently in phd school you can basically take as long as you want to do that).  Time to get 'er done!
Taking funny pictures at museums = research
Make consistent progress on my dissertation
I tend to get wrapped up on teaching, running, advising and whatever other short-term plans I have and completely neglect my own research until it's time to panic (i.e., one week before my prospectus is due).  In 2012, I'd like to devote some time to my dissertation every week, even if it's only 2 or 3 hours, so that I don't get totally overwhelmed.  And to convince my mother that I will graduate and get a job eventually.


Here's the part where you get to motivate me by leaving a comment with a) your 2012 goals, b) threats to kick my ass if I don't meet my 2012 goals, c) a haiku about carbs.

3 comments:

  1. Cookies, brownies, cake
    chocolate is the golden
    carb, make no mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!!!!!!!!!! I plan to partake in somewhere between many and most of these things. Not including the marathon. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I love the haiku!

    Diane, I'll let you off the hook for the marathon as long as you promise to continue taking a very active role in the "maintain social life" part.

    ReplyDelete