Sunday, July 22, 2012

Frustration

Well, today's half marathon sucked.  Big time.  My stomach got all angry and I probably walked a total of two or three miles.  Closest I've ever come to a DNF.  I'll write the full recaps of this weekend's Rock'n'Mud adventures later this week, but I'm not really feeling up to it yet.

I've spent the better part of the past year training for two marathons, both of which I finished much, much more slowly than I would have liked.  But at least along the way I hit a bunch of exciting milestones -- a shocking half marathon PR (2:07), a 5K PR (sub-9 pace!), my first time hitting 15 miles, then 18, then 20.

Now I'm about a month into training for marathon #3 and it feels different and totally awful.  I don't feel any closer to my goal of a sub-5 marathon, and all of my shorter distances are going to $!%@ at the same time.  This is turning into the summer of truly embarrassing race results.  Not "oh darn I didn't quite hit my goal" times but "oh wow I didn't think it was possible for me to run anything I actually considered a race this slowly" and "I wish there was some way to erase this race result from the internet" times.  Two half marathons over 2:30. Ouch.

And the most frustrating part is that I can't figure out exactly what happened.  It's easy to blame the heat, but I don't think 85 degree weather adds 20-30 minutes to most people's half marathon times.  One bad race I could blame on one-off conditions -- I didn't train, I did too much the day before, I went out too fast, it just wasn't my day -- but two in less than two months is harder to shrug off.

I'm going to try the half again in Providence in a few weeks, but I'm increasingly worried that if that doesn't go well I might never want to race a half (formerly my favorite distance) again.  All I can say right now is that something really freaking magical better happen in Chicago in October to make this all worth it.

Has anyone else hit a serious running slump?  How did you recover?

And now, to make up for this total bummer of a post, here's a photo of what Klaus did after we finally arrived in Chicago on Wednesday night after 18 hours and two scary thunderstorms:


No comments:

Post a Comment