Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Mileage Report

Definitely changed things up a bit this week!

Mon - Cross training
Tue - 3.26 mi @ 9:55 pace (GA)
Wed - 5.05 mi @ 10:34 pace including 4 x 800m intervals (Yasso 800s)
Thu - 3.16 mi @ 11:33 pace (EZ)
Fri - Rest
Sat - 6.00 mi @ 11:14 (not-quite-MP) + 39.5 mi cycling
Sun - 9 mi LSD 5.6 mi hike


Wednesday's Yasso 800s were a planned addition to the schedule.  I was really happy with the workout so I'm planning to stick with it!


There were also some unplanned deviations from my training schedule when S and I decided to take Klaus up to NH for the weekend and tried to fit in a lot of outdoorsy type things on top of our regularly scheduled marathon training runs (S is running San Francisco in less than two weeks).  I don't know about you, but on a 90 degree day the thing I really want to do after a run is jump on my bike for a hilly 40 mile ride on my road bike!  The ride was 15 miles and almost 90 minutes longer than I'd done before, so I was completely exhausted (and in quite a bit of pain) by the end.  Ironman here I come!  I believe I collapsed on a bench when we got back and only moved when I was promised that if I cleaned myself up I could have a cheeseburger at the cookout S's family was planning for dinner.


On Sunday morning, we packed up the car to head back to Boston but weren't quite ready for the weekend to be over, so we stopped at Lincoln Woods Trail to take Klaus for a little hike.  He's is a great trail dog -- scampers around exploring and sniffing things but never gets too far away.  We even got him to play in the river a little bit!




After five and half miles on the trail I was completely wiped out.  Fortunately I'd already talked myself out of attempting my scheduled 9 mile long run.  I have a really hard time skipping scheduled runs, but I was so exhausted I felt like I was more likely to hurt myself than do anything positive for racing prospects.  I'd thought about cutting back on the weekend activities, but then reminded myself that I am not, in fact, a professional athlete and am doing this whole marathon training thing because it's supposed to be fun, not because it's supposed to take over every weekend of my summer.


So sticking with that theme, I'm going to rearrange this week's schedule a bit to accommodate a 17 hour drive back to Chicago and the Rock 'n' Mud Challenge.


The new plan:
Mon - 4 mi EZ
Tue - 7 mi Yasso 800s
Wed - Rest (aka drive for a reaaaaally long time)
Thu - 4 mi GA 
Fri - Rest
Sat - Muddy Buddy Run
Sun - Rock 'n' Roll Chicago Half Marathon

4 comments:

  1. What do EZ and GA stand for after your runs? Have fun with the Yasso 800s, I'm just happy i have an excuse not to run hard on my short runs since I'm tapering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EZ is for easy and GA is for general aerobic. The corresponding paces are based on heart rate zones and perceived effort, so they can vary from day to day depending on how I'm feeling and the weather and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pics of Klaus! Does he like to swim? Ours LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's not really sure about water at this point. He sort of freaks out once all his paws are in. I think if I can just take him somewhere deep enough that he can actually swim he'll figure it out and love it!

      Delete